There is a feeling in some circles that the reason studens are failing is because of a lack of discipline. I worked with two classes today. Both sets had students who were trying desperately to learn how to search efficiently. Picking the right search terms, Boolean searching -- they were having a rough time. I think back to the days when most books were cataloged by author, title, and three subjects. We are averaging nine subject classifications, thanks to the wonder of computers. Yet they still struggle. But they're trying.
Just for fun -- and to underscore that the students can be disciplined when they want to -- here's a photo album from the Military Hall of Honor induction and parade today. There are sixty photos. It's a lot, but I told the cadets I'd post them all.
3 comments:
Awesome photos! I found that the more options I have to find a research topic, the more difficult it is for me. When I struggle now to find research on topics, I seem to remember the card catalog being easier, although I am sure that it wasn't. Thirty+ years ago, I probably thought there had to be a better way. What we have today is better. I think the key is using the tools enough to become comfortable with them.
Discipline equals practice, familiarity, focus, and will to do the right thing when no one is watching you. I think we would all rather be doing something else. The difference is that there are some that have broken and are doing what they want; I hope their rich...
Great shots by the way!
I think that students always think there is an easier way. :) Mine don't seem to have the vocabulary for a decent search -- it's not that they aren't trying. I think it's that they come to the library with a smaller number of search terms available to them. Doris -- this, I think, is at issue in early childhood education. The three million word gap?
Post a Comment