03 November 2008

How do we learn?

We learn by repetition.

My research is focusing on the use of online and computer-assisted learning to teach bibliographic instruction and/or information literacy. Some studies favor online learning over face-to-face, others favor face-to-face over online. They all agree, though, that a combination of face-to-face AND online learning is the best.

Researchers write as if this is a surprise. They say things like, "for some reason, a combination of the two methods was the most successful."

The professional side of me has to struggle to keep the unprofessional side of me from shouting, "Duh."

Any time material is presented to students, twice is better than once. Twice in an engaging manner is even better. It makes sense to me that students presented with the same material twice -- even if it's in different formats -- will have more recall of that information.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Why is it that the unprofessional side always wants to interject?

I agree twice is always better. I usually go over things multiple times with my students in class, epecially if we are covering a more advanced topic. I always get one or two students who roll their eyes and act like I am boring them to death, but most students appreciate the repetition.

KellyAnn Griffiths said...

Agreed! I find it so strange that these researchers are shocked when students who are exposed to material more than once know it better than students who are exposed only once. Where is the common sense?