A librarian's only real job, after all, is to make information accessible, whether cataloging books, working at a reference desk, selecting resources for purchase or subscription, manageing databases, building websites or teaching courses. (Asher, 2003)
...it does not really matter whether the subject class is taught through traditional lecture, active learning, competency based education, or even service learning, the role of the librarian in providing information services will nto significantly alter. (Riddle, 2003)
The only things that change in librarianship are the tools. Yes, I'm sure that the philosophies of specific schools have transformed. And individual librarians alwasy have their quirks. From the time of my youth, I can remember librarians who stuck to the rules with unbending ferocity as well as librarians who were easy going as long as you were reading something. This hasn't changed, and I count among my friends librarians in both categories. But the goal -- that whole "tour guide to information" mentality -- is the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment