14 November 2008

Where is this going?

One of the common excuses for not embracing emergent technology is cost. With the current fiscal and political climate, I'm sure this will not change. I'm also sure this isn't exclusive to libraries -- or even to education.

At my last librarian meeting, I talked about Camtasia only to have several librarians talk about how their school wouldn't give them the money for a single-user license. I was also bragging about Endnote to my Dean when she mentioned that her big issue with it was cost.

The research I have done for this class has certainly informed my Capstone project -- I am going to create a one-hour for-credit information literacy course that can be delivered online. However, I'm going to attempt to create it using only free software. I've set-up a blog to document my progress and discuss the free software itself. I'm hoping that the information will encourage people to take advantage of what the web has to offer.

These are the tools I hope to explore and maybe utilize:


3 comments:

Sarah W said...

In the classroom I personally prefer using wordpress, as it allows me to have users who don't have google accounts to sign up. I like the layout and the extra features.

http://profsw.wordpress.com
http://spe130.wordpress.com

KellyAnn Griffiths said...

I had forgotten about wordpress. Remarkable, since that's what my personal site is on. I think it's because I pay for hosting. I forget it's free. I tell all my Google stuff to allow anybody to comment -- it just doesn't seem fair that you would have to have an account to participate. Thanks.

Mike Whetstone said...

KA,

I'd like to take your course when it is set up...