12 November 2008

There's a Choice?

Much of my reading covers arguments about whether or not CBI is as good as F2F instruction. As mentioned in an earlier post, most of the time, the two methods are neck-and-neck, if the CBI has been designed properly with student needs in mind.

Looking at education trends and the move towards CBI for distance learning or even just for 24-hour access to tutorials, I'm wondering where librarians are seeing this choice. It's not like we can hold firm if F2F is better than CBI and demand that all students participate in F2F instruction. We need to embrace the CBI and make it as good as the F2F. I don't feel that CBI will ever completely eradicate F2F learning, but it certainly can't be ignored.

Do you feel educators have a choice when it comes to CBI? Or do you feel this is a love it (the technology) or leave it (the field of education) situation?

I still work with instructors who think overhead projectors (with the water-based markers and transparencies) are too high tech for the classroom.

3 comments:

Doris Brown said...

I don't think educators have a choice. I agree that CBI will not totally take the place of F2F, but it is here to stay and definitely serves a need for many adult learners. An organization that I am involved in recently sponsored a one day conference for early childhood educators. Surprisingly, the keynote insisted on using an overhead projector and markers. We were all very surprised. As I watched her, I understood her preference, but most people just don't appear to have a desire to learn new technology skills. Personally, I do not like using overhead projectors - I always seem to have things upside down or sideways and things always get out of order! I would be happy to never see an overhead projector again.

KellyAnn Griffiths said...

I just never want to tote an overhead projector across campus again -- those things are heavy!

Sarah W said...

We have a faculty member in my department who seriously requested "the dumbest room there is" for his classes next semester, because he hates the "smart" classrooms. In fact we got a bunch of pretty dry erase boards this year only to find faculty using permanent markers on them.